Look above! The default WordPress blue Kubrick header graphic is gone.
It was finally time to make this blog a little personalized, a little bit custom. We actually get a couple hundred hits a day on our corporate blog – much to our disbelief.
The new header graphic? That cute little inukshuk was one of hundreds of impromptu inukshuks built during the best Olympics ever along the south shore of False Creek in Vancouver earlier this year.
Some technical notes:
- We’re using a child theme of WordPress’s default theme, this way, we should have minimal problems updating the WordPress software in the future. This page was useful: http://op111.net/53
- For some reason the image size was wonky – our image is 760×200 pixels, but websites gave different specifications – maybe it depends on the version of WP?
- We stole the curved border from the Kubrick header image, then knocked out the middle “blue”, and saved it as a PNG with a transparent middle hole.
- The inukshuk photo was flipped, cropped, darkened, fuzzed, and generally mishandled using the GIMP image editor.
- The images were all combined in Inkscape.
If the blog traffic continues to grow, maybe we’ll do some real customizations next year.